Friday, September 26, 2014

Bear Tracks: My Original Design


My husband's Christmas quilt, "Bear Tracks" is now finished!  Jan unknowingly helped me name this quilt when she referred to it as bear tracks in her comment on my first post about the quilt.  I am so grateful for her help, because I couldn't figure out what to call it.  The names that came to my mind were "Walk in the Woods" or "Bear Walk."  I like "Bear Tracks" much better. 

I designed this quilt because I couldn't find any outdoorsy prints to do a simple patchwork.  I decided to use bear paw blocks to match the fuzzy minky I wanted to use for the back. 


After I sketched it out, I went to buy the fabric when my LQS was having a great sale.  I tried to select fabrics which would give the quilt an ombre feel, and I think I succeeded. 


I just love taking a pile of fabric and turning it into a cuddly quilt.  It turned out even better than I imagined.


It was actually made at my husband's request.  He asked me, "Do I get a fuzzy quilt?"  So this is his Christmas present, finished nice and early.  But now I have to wait three months before giving it to him. He requested a longer quilt (7 feet instead of 6) and an outdoorsy look.  I think I fulfilled his request.  He has officially been banned from reading my blog until Christmas. 

Because this is to be a cuddle quilt, I quilted it simply by stitching in the ditch. 


I love the way it looks on the back. 


I added a label to one corner, and used Leanne's tutorial which has you stitch around it before hand sewing it to the quilt.  This extra step was so worth it. 


I used the same green from the corners for the binding which I sewed down by machine. 


It looks great in our family room. 


But he better be careful, because other people may try to confiscate his quilt.  I had to reclaim it from Cheetah to hide it until Christmas.  (Good thing Cheetah will receive his own quilt this Christmas.)


Quilt Stats #113
Name: Bear Tracks
Pattern: Designed by me
Quilting Design: Stitch in the ditch
Fabric: Miscellaneous browns from my LQS
Amount Used: 8 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 60 x 84 inches
Date Finished: September 2014
What I Learned:
  • I like stitching around the edge on the label before hand sewing it to the quilt.
  • It is easier to ban my husband from the craft room for sneaky sewing than my children. 
  • It is fun to design a quilt with someone special in mind. 
So now I have one Christmas quilt finished and three more to do.  It will be a bit harder to find my sneaky sewing time.  Hopefully my husband will take them for more long bike rides and other father/son activities.   And my husband is now able to come in the craft room, as long as he doesn't start looking in the boxes or other containers where the quilt may be hiding.  ;o)

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Finish it up Friday and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop

P.P.S.  I am also linking up with Jennie of Porch Swing Quilts for her Santa's Sweatshop linky party. 

25 comments:

  1. Your hubby is going to love this! The design is fabulous and the name is perfect! It will be hard to wait until Christmas to gift it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! Your Bear Tracks quilt turned out great; you definitely nailed the ombre, outdoorsy effect you were shooting for. Your hubby is sure to love it! I hope your kids can keep it secret from him....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, they don't have to keep it a secret from him. He knows he is getting a fuzzy cuddle quilt. He just doesn't know what it looks like.

      Delete
  3. Can Cheetah keep a secret for 3 months? :) I think I would have trouble keeping this one that long. It's a great quilt and I'd just be so giddy about the finish...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Great job on your fabric and color choices. It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so well, Jasmine! The ombre gradient looks wonderful, and the name of the quilt is perfect. It matches your living room really well, and I am sure your husband is going to really love this thoughtful and personalized gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jasmine, this turned out so incredibly awesome! Your husband is going to be so stoked when he opens his quilt! :)

    I agree about sewing around the label first. I did it instinctively with the family tree quilt but was not as clever as Leanne with the turning the corners first :) I will be doing that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out beautifully! Love the whole affect and all the special thought and love that goes into a quilt like this. This is a favorite to make. Can't wait to see the next one. I need to make one with a minky back for us some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! A gradient fabric pull can be hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, Jasmine! I love the name too. It suits it so well. I'm glad my label tutorial helped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt! It's sure to be a much-loved gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cuddly bear tracks-love it! Yes it does look wonderful in your fam. room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any Hubby would feel loved with something special like this. What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very nice!! I love all the pictures. I look forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! I love your choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very cozy. I'm sure your hubbie will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow!! He can't help but love this quilt!! Awesome design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun quilt! Sounds like it hit every one of his requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! Christmas will be here in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It turned out wonderful! The light colored center is great for the tracks! And that quilt hanging on the wall, did I miss this somewhere..it is BEAUTIFUL?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is great! The colours and design are outdoorsy and manly. You definitely achieved the ombré effect with your fabric selection. Well done! Your husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun quilt! It sure does look like a bear walked right across it with muddy paws. :) www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!