Friday, October 10, 2014

Beary Blue: A Super Sneaky Finish


I am very happy to say that Panda's Christmas quilt is finished!  I have named it "Beary Blue" because it was completely inspired by the quilt Bear receives for Christmas in the book Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson. 


We love the Bear Books, and blue is most often Panda's favorite color.  Here is what Bear's quilt looks like. 


And here was my fabric pull. 


I had to be super sneaky with Panda's quilt.  I worked on it a little at a time: and hour here, and an hour there.  Those little bits sure add up!  After I finished my hubby's quilt, I put his squares up on the design wall and took a picture.  Then I labeled each of the columns, stacked them up, and hid the squares again.  Thank goodness for chain sewing which keeps everything in order. 

I finished the quilt top earlier this week. 


Then I stayed up late one night and got the quilt basted.  I am not normally a late night sewer, but I had to make sure that all three boys were asleep.  That night I draped it over my cutting table and locked the craft room. 


I was hoping to quilt it while he was at school, but he ended up staying home sick.  I knew if I left it on the table he was more likely to see it, so I decided to quilt it while he watched a movie. 


But every time he needed something I had to hide it with another quilt. 


I am grateful that Panda was more interested in his own agenda rather than what I was doing.  :D

Early this morning before he woke up and while he was at school I added the binding.  I added a label and had less than ten minutes to take pictures of it before picking him up at school.  (It was an extra short day today.) So these are not the best pictures and some had to be taken indoors because it was wet outside. 

Here is his quilt all nice and finished:


I just quilted it in the ditch to keep it soft and cuddly. 


I love how it looks on the minky backing. 


I did have to go buy more fabric yesterday for the binding and disguised it by a trip to the post office.  I love how the different blue frames the quilt but still looks good with the almost turquoise backing.  The binding fabric is a Quilter's Linen by Robert Kaufman. 


A friend stopped by and thought it really did look like the quilt in the book.  (This picture is from Bear Feels Sick). 


I look forward to lots of story time reading these amazing books while my Panda Bear is snuggled up in his own "Beary Blue" quilt. 

Quilt Stats #115
Name: Beary Blue
Pattern: 6 inch finished patchwork squares
Inspired by: Quilt in Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson
Quilting Design: Stitch in the ditch
Fabric: Miscellaneous blues and a yellow from my LQS
Amount Used: 7 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 60 x 72 inches
Date Finished: October 2014
What I Learned:
  • I can be very sneaky with my sewing.
  • Sometimes it is better to choose a binding after the quilt is put together.
So I now have two sneaky Christmas quilts finished and two more to go!

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Finish it up Friday and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop.

P.P.S.  I completely recommend the Bear Books by Karma Wilson.  They are so much fun to read aloud with their rhythm and language.  Plus Jane Chapman's illustrations are so cute.

P.P.P.S.  I am also linking up with Jennie of Porch Swing Quilts for her Santa's Sweatshop linky party.

25 comments:

  1. What a lot of effort and thought you have put in, and it is worth it! Great idea to copy the quilt from a favourite story, such precious meaning it will have for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! Panda is going to love it too. You are really getting all those Christmas quilts finished up quickly with all your sneaky sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an awesome job replicating the quilt in the book!! I just love how your quilts have so much thought and love sewn into them! Panda is going to be over the moon excited!

    Your sneaky sewing stories make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea for your beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This lquilt looks like the one in the book! He is going to be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome replica-you sneaky girl you, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sweet! I am sure your little boy will be very excited to have a quilt he can associate with the one in the book...Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea to replicate the quilt from a favourite book. We all loved those books when my kids were little. They are in the collection of special ones that we couldn't bring ourselves to part with even after they outgrew them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a super sneaky mom! He is going to *love* that you made this quilt just like the Bear's quilt in the books. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A WONDERUL match to Bear's quilt! Good job with being sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! It will be just the best gift. You will have to post pictures when this one is opened :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just loved your post! I have a 5 year old grandson and I think this book and matching quilt would be a great gift for him! It's on my list now. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sneaky and special! He will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jasmine! What a thoughtful quilt! I just love it, all the blues and colors coordination. My daughter also loves this book, I've read it so many times and I never paid much attention to the quilt on it. Now, I like the book even more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the coolest story and a perfect quilt! I am sure he will just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome quilt! I love the colors and it really does look like Bear's quilt. I'll have to check those books out for my 5-yr-old. Way to be so sneaky! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! I love your "disguise" of a second quilt draped over your machine. Very clever sneaky quilting on your part! What a sweet inspiration for the quilt. And the (Panda) Bear will feel GOOD! Well done, Mama Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea making one like in the book, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a precious quilt and loved reading your adventures making it! Panda will really enjoy his book now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beary beautiful, Jasmine. Your Panda will be so happy come Christmas morning! Congratulations on such a cute and cuddly finish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great quilt and your son is sure to love it! I love that the pattern you used looks so much like the one in his favorite books - so thoughtful! I almost always wait until my quilts are finished before choosing a binding fabric - if I purchase fabric beforehand I usually end up changing my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jasmine! I LOVE THIS!! I bookmarked your post as I would love to make one of these for my second graders....be so perfect for our cold winter snow days when we can't go outside!!! THANKYOU for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We bought Bear Stays Up for Christmas one year for Christmas for my husband's granddaughter. And your friend is right, the quilt you made does look like the one in the book so you certainly did well choosing the fabrics. Your son is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Blue is my favourite colour, so I really love this one! It looks so much like the one in the book! And I'm amazed that you could work on it while he was around. I'd never be able to manage that...but then, I sew at the kitchen table so it's pretty hard to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm hoping to make two of these for my new nephews! Thank you for sharing your quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!